Monday, March 24, 2014

March 24, 2014

Today I am feeling super lazy, which is not a good trait of a missionary I know.  So we will see how far I get through this email haha.  It might just turn into random ramblings or incoherent sentences half in English and half in Spanish. 
   This week was rough.  It was definitely a test of my faith and diligence in the Lord's work.  With Sister Noffz I was so used to her doing a lot of the planning and always knowing what we were going to do next.  Without her I have had to do everything because Sister Flores doesn't know the area too well yet.  Man, it is exhausting trying to keep an area running smoothly and making progress.  We have to deal with dozens of potentials, a handful of investigators, the rest of the people in this area, our ward members, and our ward leaders.  And there is not enough time in the week to plan everything perfectly and get things done.  Of course we always get things done, but a lot of the times we do our best and just trust in the Lord to do the rest.  I just want to help these people and especially our little ward become so much better.  And I just feel so overwhelmed and inadequate to do it all.  My biggest fear is that this area is going to crumble.  That I will be known as the missionary who did what she could but it wasn't enough. 
  Now I know that sounds completely ridiculous and selfish, and it's true.  But it is truly because I love these people and I love this area.  And I want to do everything I can for them.  Thank goodness I have an amazing companion who helps me out so much.  The Lord has called me here specifically and he loves his children in this area even more then I do.  He will always provide a way for his word to spread and for the people to be prepared.  I have already witnessed that so many times on my mission.  And I know that when we rely on the Lord and do all in our power to fulfill his work and glory then we will be helped. 
   And God has put so many great people in our path to help us.  We have an amazing Ward Mission Leader who is a miracle to us.  Brother Wait does so much for us and without him we would be completely lost.  But I also know that there are so many more people helping us then we could ever imagine.  There is a quote from Jeffrey R. Holland that I love:
 "In the Gospel of Jesus Christ you have help from both sides of the veil, and you must never forget that.  when disappointment and discouragement strike....you remember and never forget that if our eyes could be opened we would see horses and chariots of fire as far as the eye can see riding at reckless speed to come to our protection."
   I know this to be true with all of my heart.  Especially when we are involved in the Lord's work. 
    And we are making so much progress in this area!! Especially with our ward!  We told all of the Hispanic members that we were starting a Spanish branch and they were thrilled.  They all began bearing their testimonies on their faith and how they still come to church but how it is a miracle from God that they can finally hear the gospel in their language.  How sad is that.  But also what a great example of faith and strength. 
   Sister Flores and I have such big dreams for these people and for this Branch.  But anyone can have a dream.  But the minute you introduce God to your dreams and pray, your dreams turn into visions.  Everything you do on a mission has to be linked to prayer.  Or nothing would ever happen.  So in 2 weeks Sis. Flores and I are planning a giant fireside for our ward-well the Hispanics.  The theme is everyone is a pioneer.  Most of these people have traveled so far to make a better life for their families and all of them have had to be a pioneer in the gospel as well.  Treading the way alone to make a future for their posterity in God.  We are having a bunch of speakers come down from Denver and Carbondale, and then want a few of our own members to share their conversion story.  Then we will be the final speakers and talk about how all of them are pioneers in this great time when we are starting a branch.  Our goal is to set the members on fire and realize how important this is.  Because we will need the help of everyone.  So we are super stoked.
    Well, I guess I did just go on a ramble, sorry...
But the people here are great!  Yesenia is amazing and came to church with her boyfriend, daughter, and granddaughter.  She is basically already a member and I am so excited for her baptism.  My companion is amazing.  We work so well together and she is a great example for me.  I am so thankful for the relationships that I am forming on my mission, they will stay with me forever!!!  We will be starting English classes this week!  And are super excited!  Hopefully it will help us find some really great people to teach as well as help out the community. 
    Oh, and another fun note.  Everyone knows the movie 17 miracles right?  Well the main guy, Levi Savage, the man who plays him is Jason Nielson.  And him and his family are in our ward.  Actually he is the brother in law of our ward mission leader.  They moved in around January and they are such a cool family!!  I love them so much.  But anyway, Sis. Flores is obsessed with that movie and she was shocked when we went to dinner one night and it was with Levi Savage haha!!  And last night he gave a great fireside about pioneers and faith to the entire county(keep in mind, there arnt too many youth here haha)  It was a great pick me up, especially for us missionaries!  And today for pday we are getting together with the other sisters to watch the movie.  I am excited, it's been forever since I've seen anything even resembling a movie. 
   I love my mission so much, even in the really tough weeks.  .I try to imagine my life if I didn't go on a mission and I can't.  I know without a doubt that this is where I am supposed to be.  And that I needed to be here to become the person that I am going to have to be in the future.  Sorry this seemed like such a long and whiney letter!!  I didn't mean it, my fingers just started typing and I couldn't stop!!!  But I have such a strong testimony of this gospel and know it is the true way to happiness.
Thanks for everything and I love everyone back home!
Love,
   Sister Adair

No comments:

Post a Comment