Sunday, May 18, 2014

May 5, 2014

Time is going by so fast and I can't believe that I have already been in Denver for 2 weeks!  And I'm starting the 3rd week, which means that the transfer is almost half way over!  It's hard to wrap my head around at times. 
   But I LOVE Denver!  I love the people here and I love having the privledge to help this area grow.  I found out that President Murdock put me here in this area to help it build up more.  That he was calling my Sister Leader Trainers, Sister Noffz, my Ward Mission Leader, and Sister Flores to see if I could do it.  Wow, I did not like hearing that.  Now it seems like a much bigger responsibility.  But I guess it is a good sign that I am actually doing my job right.  Or at least I am trying.  Being a missionary is not easy.  There are so many people to think about and so many different decisions to make.  But I love being in this area.
   This week we have been in the process of finding more people.  We don't have too many investigators and most of them are hard to catch at home.  Our area is so big we basically just drive back and forth trying to see people.  It's not like Eagle where there are people to see down every street.  But I also love it because there are SO MANY PEOPLE!  Especially Hispanics.  They are literally everywhere and there is always the opportunity to find someone knew to teach.  It is just decided who really is ready that is hard.  
   But we found a woman named Karina and her mother Yvonne who are AMAZING!  Yvonne's son just got put in jail and they are both looking for something to bring them closer to God and be an example to the rest of their family.  They loved our first lesson and understood everything perfectly.  They even said they would get baptized if they learned this was true.  We're excited for them.
   Then the Cardenaz Family.  I LOVE THIS FAMILY!  It is a mother named Monica, her husband Francisco, their 3 kids, and their niece Victoria who is 16 yrs old.  The entire family LOVES the restoration and have been praying for a way to change their lives.  Even the Dad was completely interested in our lesson, which is odd for Hispanic men.  They all want to read the Book of Mormon and know for themselves.  And they love a member who is a recent convert.  She invited them to church and they were thrilled to go.  But turns out they didn't come, and the member didn't either, and we're not sure why :(  But its fine, that happens all the time here.  And I love the 16 yr old girl Victoria!  She is so special!  Her mom is making really bad decisions and it wasn't safe for her to live there anymore.  Which is why she is staying with her aunt and uncle.  But Victoria wants to know more about God so she can be that example for her mom and help her have more hope in her life.  Victoria is the sweetest girl and has such a innocent and special way of thinking about things.  She reminds me so much of Karina back in Eagle.  Which makes me worried that my heart will be shattered again :(  But we will do everything in our power to help them.  
   Then we have a woman named Gloria and her 2 kids.  Gloria has 2 mormon friends and loves the example of their families.  She loves everything but it is just so new to her that she needs time to pray and figure it out.  We had such a spiritual lesson with her two friends, who are in a different english ward, about temples.  And how we can be with our families forever.  And then her friend Monica up and invited her to be baptized!  WHAT!!?  We were shocked!  But it was amazing that it came from her friend, because she felt so much love from them.  She said she would read the Book of Mormon and get baptized if she knew it all was true.  
   So we are excited for quite a few people who seem to really be prepared for the Gospel in their lives.  So Sister Marley and I work really well together.  We have found a way to teach with unity, which is shocking.  Usually it is hard to find that balance.  And we have the same humor, which makes things fun.  But Sister Marley has Epilepsy, which means our schedule is a little different.  She needs to make sure she gets enough sleep so she won't have seizures, which is super scary.  So we go in at 8 and then in the morning she sleeps an extra hour.  I still wake up the same time, but it does push our studies back.  It makes it harder to get lessons, because most people are easier to find later at night after work.  But then we also plan better and more effectively.  
   Today is Cinco de Mayo, and let me tell you, you can tell.  Technically hispanics don't really celebrate it, but because they're in America, it is a great excuse to get completely drunk.  So we have seen Mexican flags duck taped to cars, cop cars are everywhere trying to control things.  And we are really excited to go proselyting tonight!  The things we will see haha.  
   Oh, yesterday we totally saw a stripper work her magic and try to see who was the highest bidder.  Then she got in his car and drove off.  We laughed for a long time over that.  
   I love this hispanic ward.  I cannot describe how hilarious it is.  During sunday school they talked a lot about their novela's (soap operas.)  For those of you who don't know, Novelas are everything to the hispanic woman, their life revolves around what time it is on.  And one lady in Sunday school stood up and said "God wants us to practice discipline.  So to discipline myself I will not watch another novela.  And God knows how hard that will be for me so it is truly a huge sacrifice on my part."  Or something like that.  She was completely serious and committed before the entire sunday school class that she was going to change her life.  But everyone was laughing because they knew it wouldn't be possible.  And did you know that hispanics are tonedeath?  I love them all but they can not carry a tune, and it is hilarious.  And I realized probably the reason I was called to speak spanish haha.
   And last funny story of the week.  I went dumpster diving the other day.  yes.  I was intelligent enough to throw our house keys in the dumpster next door.  So I made a run for it and hopped over.  And I promise it was as graceful as that just sounded.  The situation could have been a lot worse, because there were only a few sacks of garbage amongst the cigarretes and spilt beer bottles.  But then I was stuck.  That dumpster was deep and I had nothing to grab on to.  So I basically did a super woman move and pulled myself up completely with my arms.  So now, of course all of the missionaries in Denver knew what happened, and I am pretty sure I will never be able to live it down haha.  But whatever, I gained respect from it.  :)
   I love my mission and can't wait to work hard this week and teach all of these incredible people.  Thanks for all of the support and love I have back home!  
Love, 
  Hermana Adair

No comments:

Post a Comment