Thursday, December 18, 2014

December 1, 2014

    This was the best week of my entire life!!!!  Ok, that was an exaggeration, but just by a smidge. 
   This week the weather was amazing!  In the 60's and 70's every single day, which was perfect to do missionary work.  And every single day Sister Eldredge and I worked our tails off and we saw the fruits of our labors.  Every single day besides Thanksgiving we had 5 or 6 lessons.  As in real, lets help our progressing investigators, type of lessons.  We would get home exhausted every single night but so happy.  When you are engaged in the Lord's work nothing else really matters.  It is a state of bliss almost haha.  Ok, not really, but when you know you are where the Lord wants you to be, there isn't much to worry about besides your investigators.  And plus we have our apartment decorated with lights for Christmas and we have been listening to Christmas music this week.  It was such a good week.  
    This week we have found some amazing people who have a sincere desire to learn about the restored gospel and know for themselves if it is a true message.  There is a woman named Sandra who loves everything we talk about and knows the Book of Mormon is true.  And the idea of a living prophet has changed her life.  But she has a very strong Catholic background and was very torn about listening to Mormon missionaries at the beginning.  But she prayed to God and asked him if she should listen to us still and he told her yes.  So now she knows everything is true and is just trying to let go of the tradition of being Catholic.  But she is amazing and we love her family to death.  
   The woman Alma Rosa did not end up going to church again this week.  We stopped by her house a few times but she never made time to see us and said she would give us a call when she had time.  So we are thinking we will just wait to see if she calls.  If she wants this she will make time.  It is a little sad but people have to make the choice to listen, we can't just babysit them all the time.  But Alma Rosa is the sweetest woman and everyone at church missed her.
   Then there is Jesus and Tanya.  Jesus is the man who wanted to get baptized on Christmas but now he wants to wait a bit.  Which is extremely maddening because he is so ready and just needs to be baptized!  But his "wife" is so sweet and trying to find out the truth on her own.  We are hoping that they can be baptized together very soon.  
   And this Thanksgiving was so much fun!  We went with the other Hermanas in our ward to the house of a woman named Kathy in our ward.  All of her family lives in Colorado Springs so we decided to keep her company and help her cook.  So we went over a few hours early and helped Kathy make some of the food.  It was so much fun just hanging out and having fun together.  And then we ate :)  which was the best part haha.  Then we watched a church movie for a bit while we waited for the pie to bake and we had apple and pumpkin pie.  SO GOOD!  But overall it was a really good day and I loved just thinking about all the blessings that God has given me in my life.  I am so blessed it is ridiculous.  
   And now, here was the highlight of my week.  Ginette's baptism.  That woman is so perfect and has such a strong love for her Savior and this gospel.  And her baptism couldn't have turned out more perfect.  So many people showed up to support her, from 3 different wards, and the room was packed.  I wish I would have taken a picture of everyone who came.  Even her own family came, which she wasn't sure would come.  But it was a perfect baptism and the spirit was so strong.  It reminded me a lot of Yesenia's baptism, and then I realized how similiar the 2 of them are.  The same sweet spirit, strong testimony, and determination to make their lives better.  I now have no doubt that Ginette will be a strong member for the rest of her life.  And I can't wait until the rest of her family follows her example.  
   But the baptism turned out to be a spanglish baptism and it was so much fun!  It was supposed to be all in english because there were people there who didn't speak spanish, but Ginette understands spanish better, so it went to spanglish.  Hermana Eldredge said the prayer in spanish and I was so happy that she was able to participate in her first baptism!  She is amazing and I love that the first few weeks on her mission have been amazing!  It sets the tone for her next 18 months. And I actually gave a talk at her baptism.  I had planned it in english but ended up doing the whole thing in spanish, because Ginette was the only person who I was really talking to.  And it made me realize that I can actually speak spanish haha.  You would think that I would have figured this out a long time ago.  But I guess it took actually speaking in front of a HUGE group of people and speaking improv in a foreign language for me to let it sit in.  But I felt so honored to be asked to speak by Ginette.  And then the other speaker was her friend from the english ward that she has know for over 10 years.  And she and her family are actually the reason that Ginette wanted to look into the church.  The spirit was so strong and everyone was crying.  I was filled with so much happiness when I looked around and saw how much of a family everyone was and how much love there was.  And then, since it was Thanksgiving weekend, Ginette's other member friends came into town and they were the ones who baptized her.  It was perfect and she had the most important people in her life there to support her.  
    After the baptism, Ginette was confirmed right away by members of her ward and with a little bit of help from the elders in our ward.  Ginette is now a member of this church and I know that we will be in the kingdom of God together.  It is a promise in D&C and I am holding on to that promise.
   After the baptism we ended up going to someones house for hot chocolate and some amazing food!  The kind that only hispanics can whip our in a split second.  We just spent time together talking and laughing and enjoying the feeling of closeness that was at the baptism and followed us home.  That entire night I couldn't stop smiling.  Ginette was so happy and she knew she had made the right choice, which is all that mattered.  I just love that woman so much.
   And I love my mission more then anything and I love being apart of the Lord's work here in Colorado.  I know I am exactly where I need to be and I wouldn't trade my mission for the world.  I know this church is true with all of my heart and I know that the message I am sharing can change people's lives.  I have seen it happen many times and I am excited to see it happen over and over again for the rest of my life.  Because I know that I am not just a missionary for these short 18 months.  But that I will continue being a missionary for the rest of my life.  
   I love everyone back home and am so thankful for the support that I have.  Thanks for everything!   Hasta la proxima semana!
Con amor,
   La Hermana Adair

                                Ginette after her baptism.  Isn't my comp gorgeous??  And Ginette??
Ginette and her entire family :)  So cute!



                                        Ginette with her 2 best friends who are members!  Adorable!
Us with Ginette right before her baptism!!




No comments:

Post a Comment